National Garlic Day
When : Always April 19th
National Garlic Day promotes the many uses of Garlic. And, there certainly are many uses. It's a vegetable. Its' a herb. It is used in recipes around the world. Garlic has ben used medicinally for thousands of years. And, Garlic is believed to ward off evil spirits. About the only negative thing you can say about it, is that it can negatively affect an otherwise romantic evening.
As a medicinal herb:
- Phytochemicals in garlic are believed to provide protection against heart disease and cancer. Specifically, stomach and colorectal cancers.
- Helps to fight off colds and flu.
- Lowers blood cholesterol levels.
- Reduces the buildup of plaque in arteries.
- Used as a treatment for acne and warts.
- Used for toothaches
Celebrate National Garlic Day by using it heavily in your meals and snacks today. Spend some time researching its medical benefits. You might find you are adding more garlic to your menu everyday.
Did you know? We all have fears. As a matter of fact, there are so many phobias, that psychologists can hardly keep track of them all. Just so you are well informed, Alliumphobia is the fear of garlic
Origin of "National Garlic Day":
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day.
This is referred to as a "National" day. However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day.